One of my most frequently heard reactions about my appearance is that I definitely do not look my age. “Which is?” I hear you wonder. But a woman never reveals her true age, don’t you know. Hint: I’m a Chinese Ox, so, you have a few years to choose from there. I was definitely not born in 2009, as my son was. There’s a clue for you. I’m lucky with my genes. We always asked our Grandmother how she kept such a youthful skin and which products that she used to chase the wrinkles away. She told us that all she used was soap and water. Soap and water! But Grandma, all these expensive beauty products must surely be better than the bare basics – or so I wastefully and arrogantly assumed in my younger and richer days on this earth.
Nine years of parenthood and austerity later and my budget absolutely cannot stretch to the big name skin products that I used to buy. However, I’m definitely not looking my age still. Shall I share my secrets with you?
- Eat clean. It’s cheaper than processed food and better for you.
- Exercise daily. You don’t have to hit the gym every day. There are loads of yoga and HIIT apps out there now, or, get or borrow a dog to walk (but don’t forget to protect yourself from the sun).
- Steam your face. I’ve been very tempted by the skin care UK Panasonic facial steamer that I came across today, and my skin was never better than when I used to hit the steam rooms at the gym a couple of times a week.
- African black soap. This is very cheap and a lot more effective than any expensive cleanser. It does leave your skin dry, so:
- Moisturise with Shea butter as soon as possible after you wash. I discovered Clean and Natural’s products at a Vegan fair. The owner definitely had the loveliest, clearest and most radiant skin I’d seen on a grown-up, so that influenced my decision to buy. Plus, I discovered that it was the absolute best primer for going under:
- Mineral foundation. After years of annoying rosacea, I found that my liquid foundation was making my skin more irritable. Mineral make-up is positively soothing for me.
- At night, wash and sleep with Eumovate cream on your face. I wash my hands with this stuff too, and use as a body moisturiser for my awkward super-dry body and hand skin.
Have you got any beauty secrets that you’d like to share? Am I missing a hidden gem? Let me know if my suggestions have made a difference to you.
This post contains a sponsored link.